Friday, August 8, 2014

It's just preseason

A day late on this post, but I was doing one of my favorite things last night.....WATCHING FOOTBALL!!!

In my quest to change my life, I am often observing other people and trying to see their perspective. One thing I heard all day yesterday was "It's just preseason". True, yesterday was the first preseason NFL game. This really made me think about why I was so excited and why the other person may not have been.

I didn't always like football. Growing up my Sundays were spent with family. The kids would be off playing, the women would be cooking or playing cards, and the men would be watching football and drinking beer. In my mind, football was clearly a "guy thing".

Fast forward about 25 years. A few of the men in my life were very passionate about football. And that's putting in mildly lol!  So one day I finally got the courage to admit that I really didn't know much about the game except that there are 4 quarters and touchdowns. Yeah, yeah typical woman lol! Instead of laughing at me, my friend was patient and answered my questions about "why do they say 1st and 10, what is a interception, or a sack?" Still some may think these are remedial questions, but I literally just cheered when everyone else did. But I love learning and growing, so I asked.

I gradually began to watch games with my friend, and of course there was no question asking during the game-it was serious business! Eventually I started watching games with my brother after he moved in with me and declared Sundays as "man day". Man day was much different from when I was a kid-his day  consisted of being lazy all day by wearing jammie pants and a team jersey, watching football in his recliner, with his police scanner. Yes, brother I may have just embarrassed you a little. :) And I was so proud of myself to actually kinda pretend that I knew what was going on. Hey I know more than I used to know, and still probably know more than most women. LOL!

Fast forward another few years and it was happening.....I BEGAN TO LOVE FOOTBALL AND BECAME A CRAZY FOOTBALL MOM! The more I learned, the more I am hooked. Kinda like a drug but much safer and cheaper lol!

This morning as I was deciding what to write about I just kept thinking about the "its just preseason" and why this stood out so much.

1. Some people are not as excited about football or sports in general. I love football because it reminds me of my childhood, it brings families and friends together to cheer on their favorite team-or "lovingly" take part in bashing the rival team. Yesterday's preseason game was huge because it was the same teams that played in the last Superbowl. One team needed to defend their title, and the other team had to prove that they were better than the last time the two teams played. I have always loved the Seahawks! I am not a "bandwagon fan". As a kid we were Hawks fans even though we lived in Southern California. So yes, I did cry a little when my boys did not win last night. I do realized  that the game doesn't count, and that the best players were not playing, but I still support my team. The people making comments may be passionate about something else like fishing, or cars, or scrabble. And I bet they cry a little inside when that fish gets away, or they don't get the highest point word. And THAT IS OK!

2. Everyone is different and THAT IS OK! Just think of how boring life would be if we all liked the same things. Don't belittle someone because they life different things. Don't make assumptions, or criticize that person for liking what they do. Don't ever be afraid to share what excites you. Part of this journey for me is discovering new things, trying new foods, going new places, and getting to know about others. This blog is about sharing what excites me. It is a little taste of who I am and who I am becoming.


3. Life is all about preseasons. School is preseason for our working years. Having siblings or cousins are preseason for the friendships we will have as adults. Having parents and grandparents in our lives is preseason for when we become parents ourselves. Aging and life is preseason for how we will be remembered after we are gone.

So for all the haters....IT IS NOT JUST PRESEASON!

Go Hawks!


4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for asking questions and learning and can I say what a great fiend to have patience and explain football to you. Our family watched the Seahawks together since I was 5. If I asked Questions dad would say quiet the game is on. It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I became passionate about football and learned a lot about it. I still have no idea what I right 22 man means but I atleast know where my kid is or my favorite player is on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I don't know what 25 man is either yet...
    Yes he was a great friend. You will hear more about him from time to time. It was the friend who died on "that day". He thought me so much more in our short time together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and all of your questions! You are right ... It's not just preseason.... It's the makings or the beginnings of the actual season... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes hopefully this blog is my "preseason" lol

    ReplyDelete